07 December 2010

Anchorage - Day 2 - Welcome to Elmendorf!

After the 14-hour trip I couldn't quite settle down for a nap. Between having slept on the planes and the adrenaline of arrival, I found myself wondering whether I should just stay up until work. I slipped into my pajamas, turned on the TV and watched SportsCenter until about 3:00 am, when I felt drowsy.

Two hours later my alarm clock went off. I shaved, showered, dressed and ate breakfast before heading out to the Visitor Center at Elmendorf Air Force Base. There, SMSgt Butler met me at 7:00am and sponsored me onto the base. I followed him with my vehicle to the classroom building. He gave me a tour of the building and showed me to my classroom. By 8:30am my 13 students showed up and we had a great time. This group is a fun bunch and I can tell it's going to be a good week.

Sunshine is definitely at a premium up here. This is the dark time of the year, and when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds I snapped a couple of pictures on my phone for you to see what it looks like around 3:00pm: http://picasaweb.google.com/khalaf.writes/AnchorageAlaska

After class I came back to the room and ate a sandwich I still had from Chicago. I was so sore and tired from travel that I was in bed by 7:00pm. Guess I'll have to do my 2-mile run tomorrow. morning.

No comments: