09 December 2010

Anchorage - Day 4 - Feed Me, O Lord!

On the way into work today I came across a car that had slid off the road and into some thick snow. The driver, an airman from Elmendorf, was spinning his wheels unable to get any traction. Well, this is Alaska and you don't just leave people in the cold when they need help. I put on my blinkers and tried to offer my assistance. We kicked snow out of the way and watched as the wheels kept spinning. Another lady who worked in a nearby warehouse also stopped and offered to get some shovels if we couldn't get the car out. But with our pushing, the airman was able to free his car and get back on the road. I climbed back in mine and headed off to work.

This week was starting to take on the routine of all other weeks: Roll out of bed, through the breakfast line, into the car, into the office and back to the room at the end of the day. Thankfully, God intervened through the hospitality of one of my students. Dennis, or "3-D" as his friends and his initials go by, insisted on treating me to lunch at one of his favorite greasy spoons in Anchorage, The White Spot Cafe (picture here). He said it was the place to go for a halibut sandwich. He was right. Simply put it was the best fish sandwich I ever had, coming second only to Rubio's fish tacos.

But Dennis wasn't done with me yet. He invited me to join him at his church for dinner and prayer meeting. And so at 6:00pm I drove down to Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church to spend the evening with Dennis and other brothers and sisters in Christ. I met up with Dennis in the gym and had a slice of pizza with salad and 2 clementines. He then introduced me to two believers from Sudan. Apparently, there are quite a few Sudanese refugees living up here in Anchorage and Dennis and the church have a heart for reaching out to them and ministering to them. I never thought I would use my Arabic up here in Anchorage, but here we were talking away much to Dennis' delight. Later, Dennis told me he wants to learn Arabic. Having heard of his love for languages, I don't doubt that he will.

After a tour of the church facility and many other introductions, we sat in the sanctuary for the prayer time and Bible Study. It was so refreshing to hear the people's testimonies of God's work in their lives. The pastor, a 72-year old gentleman originally from the Gulf Coast, continued to encourage us as he led us in prayer and Bible study. At the end of the service he asked whether there were any visitors who needed to be introduced and "honored." Dennis stood up and introduced me to the congregation. The pastor smiled and asked me whether I wanted to "share a word." I stood up and thanked him and the congregation for their welcome and hospitality.

In that moment, I had a taste of heaven. Here I am in a room full of people I never met before and somehow, we had a compelling love for each other. That somehow is Jesus Christ. The pastor was continually reinforcing the importance, supremacy and necessity of Christ. And as followers of Christ we all had more in common than we didn't.

Thank you, O Lord, for the faithfulness of your servants here in Anchorage. May you bless them, their families and the fruits of their labor for the glory of Your Kingdom. Amen.

No comments: