23 February 2023

Lent - Day 2 - Repent, and Repent Some More

 "Repent and believe the Gospel."

I'm carrying these words through Lent as a touchstone to keep my heart attuned to God's will and purpose. And it has had quite the impact already. Throughout the day, as I noticed myself drifting towards unproductive behaviors, I heard the word:

"Repent!"

Was I doing something wrong? Or was I about to? Not necessarily. But as one pastor/friend shared with me years ago, "The enemy of the better is the good."

And so I repented, or turned away from that which I was about to do or was doing. Consciously choosing to do something other than making the same mindless choices in the normal rhythm of the day reminds me that I have a higher calling, a greater purpose. And that purpose can only be fulfilled deliberately with each choice I make, and even choosing to make choices. One day the choices I make will be automatically in line with God's purpose for me.

Until then, I'll be repenting a lot.

No comments: