17 September 2010

Djibouti - Day 9 - Why Airport Lounges Are Essential for International Business Travel

There are several challenges of overseas business travel. For starters, just keeping in touch with people can be tough. Jetlag and sleep can wear you down faster than normal. And simple things such as eating and resting can be a chore. If I didn't have access to airport lounges during my trip, the return segment would have been miserable. Instead I arrived home in Detroit tonight with enough energy to take my wife out for a coffee date before returning home.

Last year I had the benefit of a lounge membership courtesy of my beautiful wife who bought me one for Christmas. Having used it throughout the year I learned of the amenities and how to make the most of them. What I did learn was that the real benefit was during international travel. Since my Platinum Elite status now gives me access to the lounges on international flights I didn't renew the membership.

When I got to the lounge in Dubai, I was able to sit down, relax and eat for the first time that day. Since I woke up late I didn't have any breakfast. I missed lunch too on account of not breaking until the students were done with the labs. The airport in Djibouti has a spartan beverage service in the departure area, and no lounge to speak of. The flight from Djibouti to Dubai was on a no-frills airline with a la carte service, and I didn't feel like purchasing what was on offer. (Money wasn't a problem; I had UAE currency on me. In fact, when I landed in Dubai I used my currency for a cab ride and a calling card.) The small tuna fish sandwiches and cheese sandwiches would fit right in a tea service, but they hit the spot.

Arriving in Paris I needed a place to go after an overnight flight. Since I didn't get a bump to business class on that flight I had to endure a seat in economy where my knees ground into the seat in front of me. It was not a comfortable way to ride for 7 hours. Moreover I had been wearing the same sweaty clothes from Djibouti for over 24 hours. In Paris I headed to the lounge where I first found a quiet room with specially shaped couches designed to elevate the head and legs for relaxation. I fell asleep for a good 3 hours. When I woke up I had 2 hours before my flight. So I made my way to the shower and proceeded to shave and shower, changing into fresh clean clothes that hadn't been worn in Djibouti. I figured the least I could do was show up clean in Detroit. After washing up I again proceeded to grab a bite to eat, making the most of the sandwiches and sliced pork tenderloin along with the coffee and juices.

A good thing I had this refreshment in Paris: Once I boarded the flight to Detroit I found myself wedged between the aisle and the largest passenger on the flight. Yes, the 300-pound man seated next to me was so large his thighs were pushing the armrest up. That in turn caused me great discomfort since when I rested my elbow on the one sliver of the armrest he didn't occupy, the 2-inch elevation was irritating enough to send pain shooting up my arm, through my shoulder and into my neck. Don't ever think that obesity hurts only you; it can hurt those around you. In addition to that the space under the seat in front of me was partially blocked by the in-flight entertainment system. The only way I could find to sit comfortably was to twist at an angle and lean back out into the aisle while keeping my legs tucked under the seat in front of me. I was more than happy to get hit by beverage carts and people walking the aisles than get smushed by the guy next to me.

During the flight I could only watch one movie which wasn't that good. Despite my being a fan of the original TV series, "The A-Team" movie didn't live up to much of anything. While I generally like anything with Liam Neeson, surprisingly the only decent acting in the movie was from the one acting rookie, MMA fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson who played the iconic role of Corporal Bosco "B.A." Baracus. A lot of the action I found to be gratuitous and somewhat confusing.

Shortly after we flew over Ireland an announcement was made over the P.A. system looking for a doctor to assist with a medical emergency. I wondered whether a decision would be made to turn back to Ireland, but apparently the passenger was well enough to make it to Detroit. However, once we landed we had to wait until the passenger was taken by ambulance for further evaluation.

Passport Control and Customs in Detroit were very quick. I am impressed by how easily that part of my journey goes. A few minutes later and my wife and I were on our way to the coffee shop to catch up on life and spend a few precious minutes with each other.

Dinner tonight was prepared by the children: Juju made the chicken and rice, and the boys made the salad. After dinner we tidied up and headed to sleep. As I type this from the relative comfort of my own bed I hope I can get a full night's sleep for the first time in 9 days. No 100-degree heat, no fighter jets with afterburners. No cramped upright seating.

It's good to be home.

No comments: