04 October 2010

Chattanooga Chew-Chew - The Week in Review

Last week I made a return trip to Chattanooga. The rolling hills around Lookout Mountain with the meandering Tennessee River make this one of the most scenic spots I've traveled to. Thanks to seasonal allergies I was feeling somewhat blah the whole week, with the worst of it on Monday. I spent each evening in the hotel room with no appetite for adventure beyond dinner, which I stopped for after class. I tried three different barbeque restaurants, but all they could do was make me long for the Whole Hog Cafe in Bentonville, Arkansas. Here's a quick rundown of each:

Sticky Fingers - At check-in the hotel clerk gave me a coupon for a free peach cobbler with purchase of entree. Of the different things I tried the best had to be the smoked chicken wings. These oversized wings were flavorful and smoked to perfection. I did not expect them to be as good as they were.

Hillbilly Willy's - With a name like that it was begging for a visit. The food was average, and the Coca-Cola Cake was nothing more than a very moist, very sugary chocolate cake. In fact, it was so sugary I could feel the sugar granules grinding in my teeth. This place is definitely a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience, and I've made my one trip.

Sugar's Big-Time BBQ - As I drove to and from the office each day, this establishment would beckon from a lookout point on the East Ridge just off the freeway. I finally caved and drove up. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful overlook of the valley that I had from the restaurant. I could see back to downtown, Lookout Mountain and the rest of the valley. While the food on the menu was average there were three items of note that I enjoyed. The mayo cole slaw (Tennessee also features a vinegar slaw) was seasoned just perfectly with a bit of black pepper. The wood-fired okra was quite tasty; not overdone, and the flavor of the wood accented the okra beautifully. And of all things, Sugar's offers lamb on their menu. I had to try it and, much to my delight, found that this was the best meat on their menu. Roasted over wood and served with no sauce, the lamb tasted almost as good as if it had come off the barbeque at home. A little salt and pepper and I was a very happy diner. If I were to have one more dinner in Chattanooga it would have to feature these three items.

This week - Minneapolis, Minnesota, but on the northwest side (Brooklyn Park). I'll have to find some place other than the Mall of America to hang out.

No comments: