21 January 2011

Signs That I've Gone Native

I'm nearing the end of my fourth straight week in Minnesota. As faithful readers of this blog know, I have spent a lot of time up here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes (a.k.a. Land of 10,000 Hockey Ponds). When I spend so much time in one place I develop feelings of ownership for it as if I have become one of the natives who lives there. Here are some signs that I've "gone native" here in Minnesota:
  • I give directions to people trying to get places.
  • The front desk staff at the hotel recognizes me by name.
  • I avoid freeway traffic by taking side streets.
  • My speech is dotted with "Eh" and "You betcha!"
  • I take the shortcut out of the parking structure at the airport.
  • The guy at the gelato stand at the Mall of America knows my preferences. ("Mocha flavors, right?" http://www.paciugo.com)
  • I know who Ole and Lina are.
  • Weather is a big topic of conversation, but the cold weather doesn't really bother me.
  • I have used the word "spendy" correctly in a sentence without trying.
I'll be home in sunny, warm Michigan next week. Yes, I know - it was only 9 degrees this morning in Detroit. Take a look at the temperature from my car dashboard this morning:


Yup, that's -15 degrees Fahrenheit, or -26 degrees Celsius. In case you're wondering, it is actually warmer in Anchorage, Alaska.

Can't wait to get home.

No comments: